In this article:
- Verify your website ownership with Google ( store with custom domain )
- Verify your website ownership with Google ( store without custom domain )
- Submit a sitemap to Google
- Ask Google to re-crawl your URL
Google Search Console ( previously known as Google Webmaster Tools ) is a free service offered by Google which helps you to monitor and maintain your site's presence in Google search result.
You don't have to sign up for Search Console for your site to be included in Google's search result, but doing so can help you understand how Google views your site and optimize its performance in search result. For a more in-depth guide on using Google Search Console, kindly visit Search Console Help.
Before you can start using the available tools in Search Console, you will first need to add your website and verify that you have authorization.
2. Verify your website ownership with Google ( store with custom domain )
2.1 Get ready your website property :
- It is recommended that you activate the free SSL certificate provided by EasyStore to secure your domain and make your domain protocol becomes https.
- We suggest using the primary domain as your website property. You can check your store primary domain at Admin > Settings > Domains > Active domains > the domain with a star is your primary domain.
2.2 Go to Google Search Console > log in with your Google account. If you don’t have a Google account, you will have to create one before you can continue.
2.3 Click on Menu > Add property > under Domain, insert your website property > Continue.
2.4 Click COPY to copy the TXT record.
2.5 Go to EasyStore Admin > Channels > Online Store > Domains > beside Registered domains, click into the domain.
2.6 Scroll down to the bottom and click + Add DNS record.
2.7 Fill in as follow > Save.
- Name: leave blank
- Kind: select TXT
- Record Data: paste the TXT record you copied earlier
2.8 Head back to your Google Search Console > click Verify.
2.9 Verification successful > Done.
3. Verify your website ownership with Google ( store without custom domain )
3.1 If your store doesn't have a custom domain name, you can use the non-www .easy.co domain (e.g. https://abc.easy.co) as your website property.
3.2 Go to Google Search Console > log in with your Google account.
3.3 Click on Menu > Add property > under URL prefix, insert your website property > Continue.
3.4 Choose HTML tag method.
3.5 Copy the meta tag.
3.6 Log in to your EasyStore Admin > Apps > More apps > search for Google Webmaster > Install this app.
3.7 Paste the meta tag you copied earlier into the space below Google Webmaster html tag: > Save.
3.8 Head back to your Google Search Console > click Verify.
3.9 Verification successful > Done.
📌 Note : After your property has been verified, we strongly suggest you submitting your sitemap to help Google crawl your site.
4. Submit a sitemap to Google
An XML sitemap of your e-commerce site is useful when:
- Your website is new and want to have it appear on search results
- Your website has dynamic pages (new or updated products)
- Your website has a complicated structure or many internal links
An XML sitemap of your online store will ease Google to find your pages when it crawls your website. By submitting your sitemap, it will inform Google about pages on your sites that are available for crawling. It is not required to submit a sitemap to Google. Your website can still be indexed.
4.1 Go to Google Search Console > Sitemaps > fill in sitemap.xml > Submit.
4.2 Sitemap submitted successfully > Done.
4.3 You will need to wait for a while before it gets indexed. After the process is done, you will see how many pages submitted.
📌 Note: You only need to submit the sitemap once
5. Ask Google to re-crawl your URL
When we search for something using Google Search Engine, Google looks through its database and shows the most relevant results, it doesn't really search the whole internet. If you’ve recently added or made changes to a page on your site, you can ask Google to re-index it using the URL inspection tool. More Google guidelines about crawl request can be found here.
5.1 Again in Google Search Console > URL inspection > paste the URL you would like to request for indexing.
5.2 Request indexing.
5.3 Indexing requested successfully.
5.4 Indexing can take up to a week or two, you can check the last crawl by repeating step 5.1 > Coverage > Last crawl.