In this article:
- What is SSL?
- FAQ regarding SSL
- Activate SSL certificate
- Must know
1. What is SSL?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a server and a client. SSL allows sensitive information such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, and login credentials to be transmitted securely. Therefore, it provides privacy, critical security and data integrity for both your websites and your users' personal information.
The powerful indicator that your customers can trust you is the padlock icon that appears when your online store is fully encrypted, and they look for it whether they’re on your checkout or not.
Additionally, encrypting your website is good for SEO and could lead to a boost in your search position.
2. FAQ regarding SSL
2.1 Is it necessary to activate the complimentary SSL?
No, it's complimentary for EasyStore subscribers. However, there's no force to activate it.
2.2 Can I use my own purchased SSL?
Yes, sure. If you have purchased your own SSL from third party provider, you can add the custom SSL.
3. Activate SSL certificate
3.1 After you've connected your domain with your EasyStore, you may activate the SSL certificate.
- Note: This complimentary SSL certificate provided by EasyStore requires the www domain to be the primary domain by default. You need to switch your primary domain to the www domain before activating the SSL certificate. After that, if you still prefer the non-www domain as primary domain, please contact our support team to assist with the setting.
3.2 Go to EasyStore Admin > Settings > Domains > Active domains > click on Unsecured beside the domain ( either one beside www or non-www domain ).
3.3 Click on Activate free SSL after you have read and agreed to the Let's Encrypt Subscriber Agreement.
3.4 Your domain is now SSL protected.
4. Must know:
- If you’re enabling payment gateway as your payment method, make sure you change your Return & Call Back URL from HTTP > HTTPS.
- If you're using Google Webmaster Tools, you need to re-add the property because the domain has changed from HTTP > HTTPS ( guide to add Google Webmaster Tools )
- To ensure your online store's content stays secure, make sure you host all of your online store's content ( images, video, link ) on a server that publishes over HTTPS.
- If you have sub-domain ( e.g. store.yourdomain.com ), you need to activate the SSL certificate for the sub- domain as well.
- If the domain is no longer connected with EasyStore, the SSL certificate will be disabled.
Additional GIF for extra reference